Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Phacing our Phobias

We all have our fears. Spiders, bees, and ghosts tend to top most lists. Mine starts with those slithery, serpentine, scoundrels we call snakes. They're villainous and vile, the way they slide everywhere with a cockiness that shows no apparent care for what others think of them. I joke with my nature campers that the reason snakes have no legs is one day they woke up and decided they were too good for them. Clearly, based on the photo at hand, I am trying to overcome said fear of snakes. This was me and my new friend Don Juan today. Don is a six foot black rat snake that seemed to enjoy coiling around my arm and using that disgusting forked tongue of his to tickle my arm. About now, my few (very few) readers are asking themselves, what does this have to do with wine. Well, I had a cool picture of me with a snake I wanted to post. But now I try to to tie it in to wine. The fact is, most of us have certain fears in the wine world. When I didn't know a lot about wine I was afraid people would think I was a moron and couldn't tell Cab from Pinot. I used to have a fear that people would try to make look like a fraud by asking over the top wine questions (till I realized "I don't really know" is not a bad answer). Now I confide in you my biggest fear, Italian wine. When I enter a wine shop it's the one aisle I don't even glance at. Give me Cali, Give me France, Aussie and NZ, but dear Lord keep away from Chianti. I know enough to get by in a conversation of Italian wines, but there are so many grapes, and so many regions, and such a complex industry, that Italian wine makes IRS Tax forms look like connect the dots. So today, I am making a solemn vow to face that fear. With Don Juan as my reminder, I am going to take on Italian wines head first, or maybe tail. So I ask my few loyal readers, what's your biggest wine phobia? Is it a certain varietal, region, or just wine situation in general. Till next time..."Snakes, I hate snakes!"--Indiana Jones

P.S.-I managed to handle three different snakes today!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok...so my wine phobia is that not only do I know very little about the different wines...I'm absolutely sure that I could not tell you what ANY kind of wine is without looking at the label. Lucky for me I have a "self-proclaimed wine geek" for a son so I don't really need to worry about it! I'll let him devour all the wine knowledge for the entire family.

Now as far as that snake goes...I'll leave the tackling our phobias to you on this one! Yuck, they are such slippery, slimy creatures!!!

Silveradohd59 said...

I don't have a wine phobia, I don't know that much about wine except you make it with grapes, or in a rare case dandylions. it doesn't bother me that I don't know alot about it, like Mom said I know someone else with all that knowledge, I'm perfectly happy with a $6.00 bottle or trying one of the more expensive bottles, whatever you do don't give me a bottle that needs to sit for 10 yrs, It will never make it and as far as the snake goes, the only good snake is a dead snake.....grab me a shovel!

Anonymous said...

I don't necessarily have a wine phobia but I know who to turn to when I have any questions about wine...you. The snake in the picture...that's all you. You wouldn't catch me anywhere near that thing.

Anonymous said...

I don't really have a wine phobia. I'll try anything pretty much at least once even if I don't do the research first.