Sunday, July 15, 2007

No one flys higher than the Bird

After planting my new tree, Steve, I escaped from the heat to relax in the artificially cooled environment of my bedroom. Flipping through the channels I stumbled on "Larry Bird's 50 Greatest Moments" on NBA TV. The first thing that struck me was how many athletes, from any sport or era, even have 50 greatest moments. Every highlight they showed was mesmerizing, inspiring, and chilling. By the end of the show I had cheered, laughed, and cried. My heart skipped a few beats and at points I was breathless. I never fully appreciated Larry when I was growing up, but was fortunate enough to watch those last few painful years for him and his back. Perhaps the most chilling moment was in the 1991 first round playoffs against the Pacers. Near the end of the second quarter, Bird crashed into the floor diving for a loose ball. He left the game with a concussion. As the second half started a stunned Boston Garden crowd watched Chuck Person and the Pacers start to pull away. Then, with TV cameras quickly beside him, Bird jogged out of the locker room and into the Garden in the third quarter. To say the place erupted is an understatement. The aging, yet infallible Bird, reached the bench as the crowd's cheers reached an apex. He entered the game and finished with 32 points and a Celtics victory in the series. As I reminisced this legend (which may be an understatement) I began thinking of other sport stars who have ventured into winemaking. Because, yes, Larry Bird makes wine. Larry Bird has paired with one of my favorites, Cosentino Winery, to create a Legends series of wines. Which I would love to get my hands on some, or maybe receive as a gift (wink, wink). Perhaps the most recognizable and successful sports wine venture is that of Greg Norman. The Shark, as he was known in the golfing world, has created a Australian and Californian based wine division that turns out excellent quality juice. The lower level wines are a good value, and some of his higher end selections have been award winning. More notable in the New England area, is the new line of Red Sox charity wines. Longball Vineyards, a charity wine creation, has crafted three wines from Chile that benefit three charities fronted by Red Sox players. "Manny being Merlot" sales feed directly to the CHARLEE Program which provides therapeutic, residential, and supportive services to abused, abandoned, and neglected children. Tim Wakefield's "CaberKnuckle" Cabernet Sauvignon provides support to Pitching In for Kids, which benefits New England children through sports-related events. And Curt's "Schilling Chardonnay" benefits Curt's Pitch for ALS, which is dedicated to researching Lou Gehrig's Disease. These are just three examples of what has become an increasingly popular endeavor for sports stars with money to burn. As an old saying goes, to make a small fortune in the wine business, start with a large fortune. Well, till next time..."Larry, you only told me one lie. You said there will be another Larry Bird. Larry, there will never, ever be another Larry Bird."--Earvin "Magic" Johnson

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this blog entry. You have such a great way of working your love of sports into your love for wine...amazing. Jack, you are a great writer!!! Have you worked on your novel lately??? Keep up the entries. I really enjoy reading them. Love ya!

Silveradohd59 said...

ah the Bird years.....That's when I really loved pro basketball nothing like a Celtic Laker match up.....those were the days....thanks for the memories Jack!

Anonymous said...

You're a wuss...

Anonymous said...

You have quite a way with words Jack...and at first I was a little worried about where it was going. I'll be honest it sounded a little fruity...I cried, I laughed, did you really cry...but then I saw the connection between the memories of yesteryears and today. What can I say...you know how to write. I need some lessons. Love ya bro.

Anonymous said...

Ok...I gave it some more thought...maybe your not a wuss, just a fan. I went back and thought of moments in time I remember...not when I cried, but with certain moments in time. Crying games...Bruins lose to Flyers 1-0 in 1973 Stanley Cup finals...Angry moments...you know it, the tuck...Happiest moments...again you know it...ball goes through Buckner's legs...emotional moment...Cal Ripkin breaks the record for consecutive games. We're all fans of something.

Jack said...

First off, read the rule book, the tuck is there. Secondly, the Sox deserved Buckner, bringing him into the game was a mistake. Third, Cal Ripken rounding Camden for his "victory" lap was one of the most chilling moments, right up there with Bird's retirement at the garden.