Saturday, April 08, 2006

Tasting Notes and Tips from April 7th

My in-laws shared some nice wine with us last night. We broke the rules and started with a red then followed it with a white. When tasting wine, whether it be two or twenty wines, its standard to follow a certain progression. The first "rule" is whites before reds. The next "rule" is lighter to heavier bodied. And finally, dry before sweet. So when you are tasting various wines, begin by separating the whites and reds, then order them based on the final two "rules." And they are really suggestions more than rules. I would strictly adhere to them at a large tasting of wines, a wine dinner, or a tasting at vineyard or winery. If its typical home consumption, then do what YOU feel is right and works for you. Last night we started with 2003 Chateau Julien Monterey County Sangiovese. My battle with the common cold and an ear infection has thrown off my scent, but my palate picked up cranberries and a spicy finish. When my father-in-law first poured the wine, I noticed its soft colors and its translucency. I was thinking light to medium bodied with an almost scarlet color, could be a Pinot Noir? I was surprised to see it was a Sangiovese. Sangiovese is the Italian grape that is used primarily in Chianti. It has found a second home in California where many appellations have been experimenting with it and finding some success. After picking up some of the best Chinese food in town, my wife and mother-in-law popped open a 2004 Ferrari-Carano Fume Blanc. My in-laws split a case of this last month, and I have five more bottle sitting in the Cellar. The price was driven up from the 2003 vintage because of great review in Wine Spectator that gave it 91 points. A Fume Blanc is simply a fancy term for Sauvignon Blanc. A typical Sauv Blanc is fermented in stainless steel tanks, while a Fume Blanc is usually aged the traditional French way in oak barrels. The '04 Ferrari-Carano is really mind blowing. The first time I tasted it was citric and had some herbal tones on the finish. Last night it had more of a yellow delicious apple flavor with, what I felt, was a creamy finish. Noticed I said how "I felt." The important thing to remember about wine is that its about you and what you enjoy. Till next time..."Wine...the intellectual part of the meal."--Alexandre Dumas

No comments: