Thursday, April 06, 2006

New Arrival


The newest bottle has arrived. I am debating whether or not to share this glorious news already. But seeing as I am now a finalist for a teaching job, I'll share. First, the story. I had been craving this bottle since its release back in October. It is the one wine I plan on maintaining a vertical(same wine, consecutive vintages) of for years to come. I know it was available at local shops, but declined purchase because of the cost, I figured I'd save up the cash through homework club for it. Then, Wine Spectator names it Wine of the Year! The wine sells like hot cakes at every store in the area and the world. I kept my eyes peeled, but it seemed that everywhere was sold out. Until last Sunday when I scoured the internet. Sure enough wine.com, who was out of the wine two weeks ago, inexplicably had three bottles left. I checked with my wife to approve the purchase, even though its my homework club money paying for it. Once she said yes, I placed the order and had it delivered to my in-laws in CT, because RI direct shipping laws forbid consumer wine purchases. The bottle arrived today (insert drumroll here....)! A bottle of 2002 Joseph Phelps Insignia! This wine is the flagship of all Napa Valley Cabernets. It is the wine that has pushed Opus One from its California throne. Oh baby am I pleased! A nice meritage of mostly Cabernet, some Merlot, a bit of Petite Verdot and just a dash of Malbec. This one will age quite nicely in the cellar. Till next time..."The day you open a '61 Cheval Blanc is the special occasion."--Maya, Sideways 2004

No comments: