Wednesday, April 18, 2007

5 in 5: Day 1

Alas, I have fallen behind in my blogging. To make up for lost time, I will be performing my own marathon of sorts. 5 blogs in 5 Days. That might not sound like too much, because it isn't! It just means I need stick to it and get it done. Today's "lesson"-wine shopping! Now I am no expert, but I know enough to steer you in the right direction when wandering the racks and bins at your local wine and spirit shop. Let's explore some things to avoid and be skeptical of:

Number One-Be Wary of Pretty Labels
The producers of wines (and especially their marketing departments) are in this business to make money, and that means selling a bottle of wine for more than what it cost to make it. Now, if your name is Mondavi you don't have that problem. If you produce an outstanding quality and limited quantity wine for $200 a bottle, someone will buy it. It's the producers who make a $8-$20 bottle of wine that might not be of the greatest quality that want, actually need, your dollars. And their first trick is a pretty label. Now, I am not saying some of these artsy, funny, or cute labels don't have a decent wine in the bottle. What I am saying is most reliable producers of affordable wines make a good enough product they don't need to resort to this tactic. The latest trend in the last three years-animals. Australia is the king of this. Penguins, Kangaroos, Dogs, Monkeys, Cockroaches, you get the picture. Does that mean I don't have any animals in my cellar, actually there's a magnum with a "Little" Penguin on it chilling in my fridge right now. Just be advised, pretty labels are there to attract you! Some marketing rep said, "Lets put a funny name and cool picture on this bottle, some schmuck will buy our filth of a wine!"
Number Two-Shelf-Talkers
Now I know you've all done this, because I have. You're browsing along when you see in big bold font "92 Points." You stop and think, "Hmmm, 12 bucks for 92 points thats not bad." Examine these "shelf-talkers" carefully. They are there to sell a wine, not necessarily to give you the best deal. First, make sure the vintages match. So what if the 2002 scored 92, it might be the far worse 2003 on the shelf. Second, who gave it 92 points? While I don't go on points alone, they can help if they are from the right person. I don't care if some Joe Winedrinker for the Dallas Morning News or an obscure State Fair in Iowa gave it a high score. So who do you trust? If the tag is from Wine Spectator or The Wine Advocate (Robert Parker's mag) it's a reliable benchmark. Anything else I question. Wine Enthusiast tends to hand 95s just for showing up and buying an ad in their magazine.
Number Three-Watch for Deep Discounts
Unless your shopping at Costco or Trader Joe's, be skeptical of huge sale prices. A wine shop is only going to offer a deep discount if they need to move the wine. Either it isn't selling because its swill and everyone hates it, its been sitting on the shelves so long it's probably gone bad, or it was transported across country in 115 degree rail car for the last month. Once again does that mean all sale prices are bad wines? No! I have found some amazing bottles at sale prices, just know where you're shopping and ask yourself if you trust the wine shop. If you know the owner or manager and think they are trustworthy, chances are you aren't getting fleeced, instead they found a good deal at wholesale and are passing it on to you.

So what does all this mean, only buy what you know is good? No, try new things but be aware of what your buying. For $20 are you buying the wine or the services of an advertising firm? Is that score really a good score or just a number plastered to the shelf? Why is it 40% off? My advice when you're looking for a new wine, call me. Just kidding, but many of you know I love handing out advice. In all honesty, start with a varietal you know you like, such as Cabernet or Syrah. From there look for a name you might recognize or know. "I had their Merlot and it was good, why not try their Zin." I like to look for labels that come across as simple and elegant, even dignified. Of course some marketing rep probably said, "let's make it look dignified, some schmuck will buy it!" But seriously, if they keep it simple that already tells you that the winery probably takes a no frills approach, and chances are the wine will be decent. And my last piece of advice, every now and then take a flier on a bottle that you know nothing about. Find a wine at a decent price with no points, no sales, and no animals on it, and give it a shot! It just may become your new favorite! Till next time (tomorrow!)..."Life with wine is sweet!"--Laura

P.S.-I don't know of any wine with cockroaches on the label, but there just may be one somewhere!

1 comment:

PatsFanDiane said...

I think that your advice of also sticking with a region you like is good advice as well. Since we know we like pinot noir, it makes sense to stick with Oregon wines. There was something else about Australia too but I can't remember what I like from there...remind me is it sauvignon blanc...maybe. Anyway, good advice.