Sunday, July 23, 2006

Quick Notes

Some quick notes on a few wines. Last night we attended a party put on by one of Katie's co-workers. We brought along a bottle of 2001 Penfold's Bin 128 Coonwarra Shiraz. What a great wine! I used to have a bottle that I paid $22 for, I found it at the store yesterday for $17.99. It's such a bold wine but not overpowering. Then came a bevy of Syrahs. First up wasn't actually a Syrah but Bogle's Petite Sirah, a totally different animal. This wine was somewhat heavy but so smooth on the palate. Next up was a 2003 Cline California Syrah. This was nice, it was velvet like on the tongue and I especially enjoyed the mocha flavors. Finally was a R.H. Phillips Syrah EXP. I didn't pick up the vintage, but it didn't matter, I loved it. It was light bodied and easy drinking with a lovely herbal tone. In the end, it was a good night, four wines, four good reviews. Till next time..."To take wine into our mouths is to savor a droplet of the river of human history."--Clifton Fadiman

No comments: