Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Oregon Pinot Noir: My new love

The other night at my parent's house, I uncorked a 1999 Willamette Valley Vineyards Karina Vineyard Pinot Noir. This single vineyard selection was by far the rarest bottle I have ever tasted. Only 112 cases if this wine were made, or about 1300 bottles. The only other wine I own close to being that rare is our 2000 Beaulieu Vineyards Rutherford Clone 4 Cabernet Sauvignon, which produced less than 300 cases. The Pinot was excellent. I have really grown fond of the earth and mineral flavors of the Oregon Pinot Noirs. Wine Spectator mentions flavors of "peppery currant," and I'd have to agree. The slight spiciness meshed well with the fruit flavors. I was very impressed by this effort from a winery that is producing mass quantities of their regular offerings. We also had a bottle of Penfold's South Eastern Australia Semillion/Chardonnay. My mother and I both found it to be an great value. It's an easy drinking white that seems meant for summer. I would have to give it my "Porch Wine" recommendation!

1 comment:

PatsFanDiane said...

What...no quote? That's one of my favorite parts. I liked this post much better. I followed it easier. Hope you're feeling better.