Friday, May 26, 2006

Half off Wine Wednesdays?

That's right! A restaurant in Westerly is offering half off any wine, by the bottle or glass, on Wednesday nights. The Up River Cafe allows its patrons to save a dollar or two mid week excluding the months of July, August, and September. This has been a great chance for my wife and I too drink some fabulous wine for less than most liquor stores and wine shops charge. The first night we went we had a 1999 Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon for $70!!! That's unheard of! The cheapest I found that bottle online was $155. And yes the wine was terrific, nice aromas with black currant flavors and a touch of black fruits. It even paired well with my Seared Sea Scallops over Thai Black Rice If I had a bottle in my cellar I'd let it sit for another two to three years, but it went down fine at dinner. At our next visit we split two bottles with my in-laws. The first was 1997 Calera Reed Vineyard Pinot Noir from the Central Coast of California. This wine was nothing like the young fruit forward Pinot's that are saturating the market. Its old world style, very earthy, and I tasted some cranberry flavors. It even held up against my spicy Asian Fried Calamari. With entrees we had a bottle of 2002 Duckhorn Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. Duckhorn was one of those vineyards I had been dying to taste, and they didn't disappoint. While not as spectacular as the Silver Oak, it was well worth it after the 50% discount. Next time though, I'll try something besides the Braised Medallions of Monkfish with Musselsl (which was outstanding!), and try some heavy red meat at The Up River Cafe. Till next time..."Invariably, a restaurant with a large, pretenious wine list has a large and pretenious staff."--Kevin Barron (I believe he is a British politician)

No comments: